Friday, February 6, 2009

The time to hike is getting closer...

I'm really excited, and yet, nervous about the day of my departure getting so close. I knew the last few months would speed by faster than the ones in the beginning...but not this fast. Because of finances, and still not having a job, I am not able to get all the gear I was hoping for to lighten my weight up, but I know that I will be ok with what I have. Again, the acceptance is coming into play. It is because of this, though, that I have finally decided what my book will be about. I have done alot of research for it already. Heck, I have nothing better to do all day. It's very tedious, but fun at the same time. It will be a serious challenge though when I am on the trail to stay within the limits of which I have given myself....to hike the PCT on a shoestring budget. Yeh, that's what the book is about. My friend, Lon, and I have a bet to see if I can stay under a certain amount per mile. I am hoping to do it, for the sake of the book writing, but also don't want to HAVE to do it, if I get stuck or find that I need a soft bed once or twice on my trip. ....acceptance.

I never went to the "community service" job. It would have taken me atleast four hours to get there and they expected me to be there at 6:30 AM in the middle of downtown. I would have just spent the night had it not been such a high crime area. I've gone to a few interviews, but still have not heard from any of them. I'm thinking, what's the point now? I'm leaving in two months...April 15. If I could find some side work until then I'll be good. ...acceptance.

The home I am staying at until then is nice, but the public transportation out here sucks. I got spoiled with that living in the crowded city. Every morning, though, I sit outside with my coffee and listen to to the birds and the squirrels and dream of my days on the trail. It's nice, but I wish I had my car back so I could go up to the mountain and retreat. There is a trail down the road, about a quarter mile from the house. Well, it's actually a fire road, or a dirt road as we call them back home. There are no trees and the grass and foilage is brown, but it goes for miles, I have gone only about three of those miles so far. The hills on this road are also very steep and I have been taking my friend's dog, Duke, with me. I still have some work to do on those climbs. It's raining here and I'm using that as an excuse no to go out again. I should though because it will be raining on the PCT as well. ...acceptance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in a similar situation to you... right down to standing in line at SS. The only difference is I got my pup in april '07, and she'll be two in a few days (3/09). I am jobless and carless, living with my brother and his wife and kids on a small lake out in the country. I would like to do one of the major trails with myself and my dog... but I think I'm gonna start with the river 2 river trail in the shawnee forest in southern IL (170 miles) to prepare for a bigger hike. Keep posting your progress... very interesting. you can see pics of my dog on my blog technical76.com (she's the white one)