Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day two: training

I did my second day of training today with my friend's dog Duke. Not for mileage but for speed. Only six miles round trip.... downhill was easy of course and at the end of three miles I took a break with Duke and I cleaned up some trash left behind by previous campers. I reminisced about when I used to go to that campground with my dog before he passed away. I really miss him.

I also remembered that, just two years ago, that three miles seemed so long for me and laughed to myself when I realized how short three miles actually is. The thought of hiking almost 2700 miles was something I couldn't even fathom back then, although being in the wilderness for five months was. As we headed back uphill to the car, I was thankful for Duke being so young and energetic as he pulled hard on the leash, which made me hike a little faster than usual. I am not real fast going uphill normally because of my pelvic hurting when I go too fast. I think I was slow today for some reason. Elevation gain was approximately 1500' and we did the six miles in two hours. Last week I was up much higher in elevation and did 16 miles in eight hours with 4700' elevation gain. My pack was loaded up both times, with water and other stuff for weight, 20+ lbs. I am training in my Montrail Torres..they feel like they weigh about 4 lbs each, but I think that's more like total weight. When I get those Montrail Hardrock running shoes on my feet in April I'll be turbo charged!

When we were at the campground, we heard a really large bang and both of us looked at each other like maybe thunder, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I thought maybe it was the kids I passed by, getting into something they weren't supposed to. But an announcement was just made on the radio, explaining the sound. It was the shuttle landing at Edward's Airforce Base, 100 miles away...wow!

No comments: